Saturday, November 1

Enough With the Whining Already!

The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death." ~ Exodus 16:3      

+++++++++++++++++++++

When faced with struggles - financial, emotional, with a relationship - do we sound like the Israelites in the desert?  Do we launch a pity party and whine about the unfairness of of it all?  Do we blame others, looking for scapegoats on whom we can dump all of our complaints?

Guilty.  Yep, I have cried in my beer more times than I am proud to admit.  Some may forgive my self-absorbed grumbling quicker than they might the Israelites; after all, they had the Big Guy Himself with them non-stop, as a pillar of fire at night and a column of smoke during the day.  They could see God before them, leading them and nurturing their leaders, first Moses, then Joshua and others.  I have only my fragile faith to sustain me.  I don't have the constant presence of God to lean on.  Right?

Wrong.

God is always with each of us whether or not we acknowledge Him.  In the same way that He rained manna down each morning or led the Israelites to the uncountable flock of quail, God works actively in our lives.  I know He is with me.

A couple of examples which have occurred recently...

During my current state of "being in between fundraising gigs" my wife has been working as an accompanist.  Because of some rather pejorative circumstances she opted to decline an offer to become the full-time music director.  This put her long term status in jeopardy.  Needless to say it created even greater uncertainty about our financial future.  Despite the worry gnawing at my gut and the freak out residing just under the surface of my skin, I reached out to God and placed my worries, and our future, in His hands.

Just a few days later, my wife was offered a temporary gig that will bring some much-needed $$$ into our coffers.  

And, I have started to see some movement on fundraising jobs to which I have applied.

Things are still scary, but with the focus fixed squarely on Him, and doing His Will, finding the courage to keep moving forward is much easier.  

So, let's quit the bitchin' and moaning and place our full trust in Him.

Amen?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reminder: if you have a prayer need, please click on the Share a Prayer? tab and send it my way.  I will respond.

Have a wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment