Monday, October 6

Put Pen to Paper...

Have you ever come to a crossroad and had no idea which way to go?  Go straight?  Right turn?  Head to the left?  I found myself at one of these intersections today, literally and figuratively.  Things have been a bit, well, sucky of late.

No job.  No money.  And creditors who don’t give a damn that my unemployment benefits check can’t stretch to cover the entire balance due.  Nor do they concern themselves with the fact that they are merely one of a score of folks to whom I owe money. 


Being a typical dude, I sought someone to blame for this avalanche of crap that has buried my family and me.  And I picked on God.

Yep.  I was pretty angry with him.  “Why not that job?!  It was a great fit!”  Rejection after rejection began to weigh me down and my anger intensified.
“Hey, God!” “Yo, Big Guy!” “A little help here?” “Maybe this week’s lottery numbers?” “Hello?”
It became evident to me that God was not going to answer me in a manner of my choosing.  It was rather silly of me to expect that but, well again, I’m an overgrown kid whose expectations are not often tempered by the patience and understanding that comes from being mature. Then a remarkable thing happened.

I came to a crossroad. 

Stopped at a traffic light in downtown Peekskill, God called, in His typical, cryptic way: “Put pen to paper.”

???

Well, I came home and pondered these words, for a while.  A long while.  After a time I experienced something of a minor revelation.  Just last week, on October first, I picked up my Bible, for the first time in eons, and started to read it.  For reasons unknown to me then, I made a commitment to start reading, from Genesis to Revelation, start to finish, Alpha to Omega.  I am about halfway through Genesis, five days into this exercise and already some things are changing, inside me.

But the most important change led to my encounter at the traffic light, at that intersection, today.  I had dropped my guard, discarded the defensive walls I erected and allowed myself to be open to hearing His voice.

“Put pen to paper.”  Well, this is the 21st Century so, “when in Rome…”  I will come to this space every morning, tap on a few keys – rather than put quill to parchment - and see what emerges.

This blog will be more than just a forum to spout ideas and opinions ad nauseum.  God knows there is a surfeit of those already occupying valuable acreage in Cyberspace.  It will be a place to stop by - every day, once a month, once-and-never-again – read a little something, leave a brief comment, and be at peace. 

And share a prayer, if that is what you need.

God is waiting for you.  I am, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment