Thursday, October 9

What Are You Willing to Do?

Read how Abraham was tested.  [Genesis 22: 1 - 19]

The story of Abraham has always challenged me.  When God commands Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, a child so long awaited due to his and Sarah's inability to conceive for so very long, I am dumbstruck.  Didn't God have a hand in helping Abraham and Sarah to become parents after so many years of nothing?  Why would He turn the tables so quickly on this faithful couple and put this command to Abraham?  What was the whole point, after all?

In the end, however, what blows my mind even more than God asking him to do this, is Abraham's response.  There is no wailing and gnashing of teeth.  There is no bargaining with God - "Please, God, anything but that!".  He simply gets Isaac, packs up a couple of donkeys, brings a couple of servants, obviously to do some of the heavy lifting, let us not forget that Abraham is about a zillion years old by this time, loads up on firewood and sets out on a road trip.  Now the story leaves out a few details, such as how long the trip is from Abraham's home to Moriah, or even why make a journey at all.  Why not have the deed done right in the backyard?  Why travel mile after mile to some probably desolate place just to kill his first-born?  
Some test, huh?  And Abraham complies with every instruction without, as far as we can tell from the text, any hesitation or complaint.

Well, Abraham passes the test, does not have to kill his son and is blessed, along with his family, beyond anything he might have imagined.  The children of three major faith families point to him as the father of all: Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

Why does this story challenge me?  As the father of three children I must admit that this is a test that I might fail.  It is inconceivable to me that even were the command to come from God Himself, I fear that my response would be, "Nope. Ain't gonna do that.  I love my kids too much."  I cannot imagine myself murdering my child, or children, because God tells me to do it.

Can you?

How far are you willing to go to prove your love of God and your faith in Him?  I wrestle with this question every day and I apologize if you were expecting an answer.  This is a Faith Journey that we are embarked upon and I fear that many more questions than answers will be raised along the way.

I am not perfect in my faith, as I just admitted, but does that make me unworthy of God's Providence?  Hardly and that is the extraordinary thing about His love and grace; they are given without "terms and conditions", regardless of whether we deserve it.

Just remember to say "Thank you!" once in a while.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Reminder: if you have a prayer need, please click on the Share a Prayer? tab and send it my way.  I will respond.

Have a wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment