Monday, March 9

Freedom from Judging, Freedom for mercy (Shared from the Henri Nouwen Society blog)

As a teen, I often would judge folks, based solely on their appearance or observed actions, sharing said judgments aloud with my friends and family.  Typically my observations would be couched in very snarky comments.

My Mom often chided me for this disrespectful behavior, warning me that someone might overhear me and take great offense.

Like I would listen.

Gosh, I wish I had!  On more than one occasion, my hurtful remarks were heard, by either the target or someone nearby who was familiar with him or her.  You may imagine just how awkward those confrontations were.

So I learned my lesson but it sure took a long time, with a lot of hard knocks.

My Faith Hero Henri Nouwen says it with significantly more eloquence and wisdom, so I share his thoughts with you today...

Daily Meditation: March 9, 2015

(Posted on March 9, 2015 by daily meditation)

Freedom from Judging, Freedom for mercy

We spend an enormous amount of energy making up our minds about other people. Not a day goes by without somebody doing or saying something that evokes in us the need to form an opinion about him or her. We hear a lot, see a lot, and know a lot. The feeling that we have to sort it all out in our minds and make judgments about it can be quite oppressive.

The desert fathers said that judging others is a heavy burden, while being judged by others is a light one. Once we can let go of our need to judge others, we will experience an immense inner freedom. Once we are free from judging, we will be also free for mercy. Let’s remember Jesus’ words: “Do not judge, and you will not be judged” (Matthew 7:1).



Text excerpts taken from Bread for the Journey, by Henri J.M. Nouwen , © 1997 HarperSanFrancisco. All Scripture from The Jerusalem Bible ©1966, 1967, and 1968 Darton, Longman & Todd and Doubleday & Co. Inc. Photo by V. Dobson. Scripture chosen by L. Yeskoo.

For further reflection …

When the Pharisee who had invited himself saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is – that she is a sinner.” Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.” He said, “Tell me, teacher.” Then Jesus turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “DO YOU SEE THIS WOMAN?” – Luke 7: 39-40, 44 (NIV)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reminder: Let’s pray together!  Please click on the Share a Prayer? tab and send me your prayer intention.

Have a wonderful day!
Love     אנגלית     الإنجليزية


No comments:

Post a Comment