Tuesday, March 3

Umm, Hi. I'm Back?

“The Return of the Prodigal Son”, by Rembrandt van Rijn
The Parable of the Prodigal Son ~ Luke 15:11-32


Since my earliest memories of sitting in Religion Class at Our Lady of Angels parish school, in the Bronx, Jesus’ story about the Prodigal Son has had powerful hold on me.  For me, it represents most clearly the unconditional love that God has for each of us.  No matter what that young man did or with whom he did it, his dad welcomed him back without question or judgment and with exceeding love.

Without fail, I am a weepy mess by the end of this tale.  My wife and kids would have you know that this display of excessive emotion is not an unusual occurrence with me.  My Mom might even want share with you know that, as a toddler, I sobbed at the conclusion of the 1961 horror flick, Gorgo.  Hey, when mother and child [SPOILER ALERT!!!] are reunited and head back to the nuclear-infused deeps of the Irish Sea, well...Dang it, there I go again <sniffle>!

But this is different.  (I heard that snicker, Mom!!!)

Now, consider…

How would this story read if, when the younger son returned home the dad responded with something like, “Oh, it’s you.” and went right back to work?  Worse, if he turned away this pathetic wreckage of a human being, starved for food and affection, with nary a second thought, and kicked him to the curb?!  What a different feeling we would have about both father and son and subsequently, about God!  How different would our faith be?!

When Paul and his contemporaries write about Grace, in my mind and heart I believe that they do so with the image of God as the dad in this story.  They encourage us that, no matter how many times we fall, or come up short in our self-assessments, we can get back up, seek God out and we will be forgiven.

This is the crux of God’s faith in, and love for, us:

All-encompassing, all-consuming Love;
Prevenient grace – that’s right; before we even are conscious of it, God is waiting, WAITING to give it to us.  All the needs to be done is for us to, simply and with no grand preamble, say, “Yes, please.” and God will bathe us, clothe us, immerse us in His Grace.

Pretty cool.

Pretty awesome.

Pretty, well, everything!


+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reminder: Let’s pray together!  Please click on the Share a Prayer? tab and send me your prayer intention.

Have a wonderful day!
Love     אנגלית     الإنجليزية
Hope     מקווה     أمل
Grace     גרייס     نعمة

No comments:

Post a Comment